page under construction
Here is the short list of good advice to get you started planting trees.
- Evaluate potential planting sites for appropriate sunlight, drainage, soil, proximity to structures & walkways, and distance from other trees.
- Select appropriate varieties, including ones with disease resistance
- Select rootstocks appropriate your specific location and desired mature tree size.
- Plant trees during the dormant season but before or after frozen ground.
- Plan in advance for water access so that trees can be irrigated until they are established.
- Prevent damage to trees from herbivorous animals and careless humans.
- Mulch trees with wood chips to retain soil moisture and out compete grass.
- Familiarize yourself with the basics of pruning and tree hygiene.